Our Presentation This Month...
Legislative Update - The New Tort Reform Changes Under House Bill 837
Our Guest Speaker...
Ryan D. Burns, Shareholder
Marshall Dennehey Warner Coleman & Goggin
Attorney Ryan Burns will take a deep dive into Florida’s new tort reform law – House Bill 837- and its impact on local businesses. Within the session, we will explore practical defense strategies as applied to the changes made to the law including:
- Modified Comparative Negligence Standard
- Two-Year Statute of Limitations for General Negligence Claims
- Evidentiary Concerns of Past and Future Medical Expenses
- Letters of Protection and Referrals Disclosures
- Negligent Security Liability Presumption and Assailant Liability Apportionment
- Contingency Fee Multiplier – New Lodestar Presumption
- One Way Attorneys’ Fee Limits
- Bad Faith Law
Ryan D. Burns
Ryan is a longstanding member of the firm's Casualty Department, and has considerable experience with a wide variety of casualty matters. A substantial portion of Ryan’s practice is devoted to the handling of matters with complex theories of liability, often involving catastrophic loss and/or wrongful death. They include claims emanating from product liability, construction and equipment accidents, automotive liability, interstate trucking and transportation, negligent security, premises and retail liability, among many others. As a litigator with experience in a multitude of casualty disciplines from the general to the specialized, including asbestos and toxic tort, maritime and fraud/special investigation, Ryan serves as thought leader and mentor to associates in his office. He has also argued appeals before the Second, Third, and Fourth District Courts of Appeal.
Ryan's legal career started as a prosecutor with Miami-Dade State Attorney's Office, which provided him with considerable litigation experience and familiarity with the criminal justice system. This was a continuation of his focus on litigation during his legal education at Indiana University School of Law - Bloomington where he was in Moot Court (finalist and competition team) and the school's trial competition team. In combination with his civil career at Marshall Dennehey, Ryan has tried approximately 20 jury trials to verdict, including several complex multi-party and Wrongful Death matters spanning weeks in court.
Ryan is a Florida native, born and raised in Cocoa Beach in Brevard County and attending the University of Florida as an undergraduate where he studied theoretical physics and mathematics before leaving Florida for law school with his wife. He now is based out of Fort Lauderdale where he and his wife are raising two daughters, and in his spare time trains for obstacle course racing and triathlons.
- Our deadline to place our guarantee with the facility is June 19th.
- We cannot guarantee meal selections or special requests after that date.
Please advise your entree selection with your RSVP...
- Chicken Parmigiana al Chester - Crispy Olive-Brined Cutlet I Angel Hair I San Marzano Sugo I Buffalo Mozzarella I Balsamic Basil Pesto
- Salmon al Bella - Crispy Skin Salmon | White and Green Asparagus | Beurre Blanc Foam | Crispy Prosciutto
- Vegetarian Alternative - Pasta Primavera
We will begin with...
Golden Goddess Salad - Mini Iceberg Wedge| Citrus Champagne Vinaigrette| Walnuts | Bacon | Cranberries
We will conclude with...
Chef Jacob's Peach Bread Pudding - Warm French Vanilla Bread Pudding I Peach Creme Anglaise
(Include attendee name, company name, and entrée selection with RSVP)